US announces new sanctions on Russian officials, bank
Washington: US President Barack Obama Thursday announced new sanctions against senior Russian officials and a bank in a bid to "impose additional costs" on Russia.
"Based on the executive order that I signed in response to Russia`s initial intervention in Ukraine, we`re imposing sanctions on more senior officials of the Russian government," Xinhua quoted Obama as saying.
Washington is also imposing sanctions on a number of other individuals who provide material support to the Russian leadership, as well as a bank that provides material support to these individuals, Obama said, adding that the steps are part of the US response to Russia`s moves in Crimea.
In addition, Obama said he had signed a new executive order Thursday to impose sanctions on key sectors of the Russian economy.
The president said the new sanctions would not only have a significant impact on the Russian economy, but could also be "disruptive" to the global economy.
"Russia must know that further escalation will only isolate it further from the international community," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert