US announces new sanctions on Russian officials, bank
Washington: US President Barack Obama Thursday announced new sanctions against senior Russian officials and a bank in a bid to "impose additional costs" on Russia.
"Based on the executive order that I signed in response to Russia`s initial intervention in Ukraine, we`re imposing sanctions on more senior officials of the Russian government," Xinhua quoted Obama as saying.
Washington is also imposing sanctions on a number of other individuals who provide material support to the Russian leadership, as well as a bank that provides material support to these individuals, Obama said, adding that the steps are part of the US response to Russia`s moves in Crimea.
In addition, Obama said he had signed a new executive order Thursday to impose sanctions on key sectors of the Russian economy.
The president said the new sanctions would not only have a significant impact on the Russian economy, but could also be "disruptive" to the global economy.
"Russia must know that further escalation will only isolate it further from the international community," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali