US appeals court reverses CIA drone secrecy ruling
Washington: A US appeals court has reversed a lower court ruling which allowed the CIA to refuse to confirm whether it had information on the use of unmanned drones to kill suspected terrorists.
A lower court federal judge had sided with the CIA and dismissed a lawsuit by the American Civil Liberties Union seeking those records. In response to the ACLU`s Freedom of Information Act request, the CIA said that merely confirming the existence of drone records would reveal classified information.
But the government subsequently backed off that claim during oral arguments before the appellate court.
Friday`s ruling by a three-court panel sends the case back to the lower court, where the agency can argue that the records it has on drones are exempt from freedom of information disclosure requirements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday