US, Argentine sign agreement to prevent nuclear smuggling
Washington: The United States and
Argentine Wednesday agreed to begin a cooperative effort to
detect, deter and interdict illicit smuggling of nuclear and
other radioactive material.
An agreement in this regard was signed by US Secretary
of State Hillary Clinton and Argentine Foreign Minister Jorge
Taiana on the sidelines of the Nuclear Security Summit that
concluded on Wednesday.
Secretary of Energy Steven Chu was also present.
The agreement paves the way for the US Department of
Energy`s National Nuclear Security Administration to work with
Argentine Customs to install radiation detection equipment and
associated infrastructure at the Port of Buenos Aires.
In a statement, the State Department said, the
Megaports Agreement solidifies the United States` and
Argentina`s joint commitment to the safety and security of the
As part of NNSA`s Second Line of Defence Programme`s
Megaports Initiative, this agreement will help NNSA meet its
goal of equipping 100 ports with radiation detection
equipment, it said.
The Megaports Initiative provides radiation detection
equipment, training and technical support to key international
seaports to scan cargo containers for nuclear and other
The installation of radiation detection systems in
Argentina represents a significant step forward for the
Megaports Initiative, which is now operational at 30 ports
around the world.
Work is underway at additional ports in Asia, Latin
America and the Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East, and
Africa, the State Department said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS