`US Army commandos training rebels in Syria`
Dubai: Instructors from US special forces are training armed opposition groups that are fighting against the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Syrian state news agency Sana reported.
The US commandos are training rebels from the so-called Free Syrian Army in camps located on the territory of Jordan, according to Sana.
The training programme started in late 2012 in a base located on a private territory in the northern suburbs of the Jordanian capital of Amman.
Apart from the US instructors, the Syrian militants are also receiving training from French and British commandos, Sana said.
The US military also make raids into Syria from Jordan and Lebanon for reconnaissance purposes and for preparing terrorist operations in support of Syrian rebels, Sana cited French newspaper Le Figaro as saying.
In an interview with The Sunday Times, Assad accused the British government of arming and supporting terrorists in Syria.
He also said he had doubts that Europe really wanted peace in Syria.
The Syrian events will have disastrous consequences for the entire Middle East, Assad said.
Syria has been locked in a civil war since demonstrations broke out against Assad in March 2011. According to UN estimates, at least 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
Western states have been calling for Assad to step down. However, Russia and Iran insist that Assad`s exit cannot be a precondition for a deal to resolve the crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch