US Army: Military shooting suspect out of hospital
A US Army psychiatrist charged in a deadly 2009 shooting rampage at a Texas military post was returned to jail today after a brief stay in the hospital.
Fort Hood (Texas): A US Army psychiatrist charged in a deadly 2009 shooting rampage at a Texas military post was returned to jail today after a brief stay in the hospital, News Agencies said.
Authorities have not said why Maj Nidal Hasan was taken to the hospital Saturday, but he was listed in good condition earlier this week.
Hasan, 42, faces the death penalty or life in prison without parole if convicted in the November 2009 attack that left 13 people dead and more than two dozen wounded.
Hasan is paralyzed from the waist down after military police shot him the day of the rampage.
His former defense attorney, John Galligan, said he believes Hasan was hospitalized over problems related to his incontinence, although he has not spoken to his former client in more than a year. Hasan has had health problems related to his catheter, including blood in his urine, Galligan said.
Hasan`s trial was set to begin in August, but court proceedings are on hold over his recently grown beard, which violates Army rules.
Hasan, who says he grew the beard because his Muslim faith requires it, is appealing the trial judge`s order that he must be clean-shaven or be forcibly shaved before the court-martial.
The government has until Friday to respond to Hasan`s appeal, and then the Army Court of Criminal Appeals is to rule on the matter.