US Army soldier arrested on suspicion of espionage
Anchorage: A US Army specialist from Kentucky who was serving as a military policeman has been arrested at an Alaska military base on suspicion of spying, an Army spokesman said on Tuesday.
Specialist William Colton Millay, 22, was taken into custody at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson on October 28 following a joint espionage investigation conducted by the FBI and Army Counterintelligence special agents, Army spokesman Lt Col Bill Coppernoll said.
Coppernoll did not say who Millay, of Owensboro, Kentucky, was suspected of spying for or what sensitive information he may have had access to. He said the investigation was ongoing.
FBI spokesman Special Agent Eric Gonzalez said the case would be tried in military courts.
He also said the arrest was not related to the WikiLeaks case, in which US Army Private Bradley Manning is charged with downloading more than 150,000 diplomatic cables and passing some of them to WikiLeaks while working as an intelligence analyst in Iraq.
"It`s unrelated, forget WikiLeaks," Gonzalez said.
A spokesman for the Anchorage Correctional Complex said that Millay was being held there on a federal charge. Millay is assigned to the 164th Military Police Company, 793rd Military Police Battalion, 2nd Engineer Brigade.
"Today`s arrest was the result of a close working relationship between the FBI and its military partners in Alaska," Mary Rook, special agent in charge of the FBI in Alaska, said in a brief written statement.
"Through this ongoing partnership, we are better able to protect our nation," Rook said.
Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson is a combined Army and US Air Force facility near Anchorage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list