US asks Cuba to release Alan Gross
Washington: Expressing concern over the continued imprisonment of American national in Cuba, US President Barack Obama has asked the Cuban Government to release him on a humanitarian basis.
"The Cuban government should release Alan Gross and return him to his family where he belongs," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
"Tomorrow Alan Gross will begin his fourth year of unjustified imprisonment in Cuba. He was arrested on December 3, 2009, and later given a 15-year prison sentence by Cuban authorities for simply facilitating communications between Cuba`s Jewish community and the rest of the world," he said.
"The President has followed (Alan) Mr Gross`s case with concern, and he urges Mr Gross`s release," Carney said.
"We continue to ask the Cuban government to grant Alan Gross`s request to travel to the United States to visit his 90-year-old mother, Evelyn Gross, who is gravely ill. This is a humanitarian issue," he said in response to a question.
"We continue to press the Cuban government to release him ? This is a humanitarian issue. It is essential that he be released for his own health reasons, and it would be incredibly appropriate to allow him to visit his gravely ill mother," Carney said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!