US asks Pakistan to dismantle Lashkar-e-Taiba
Washington: The United States Wednesday asked Pakistan to dismantle Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a terror group responsible for several terrorist attacks inside India including 26/11 and attack on the Parliament.
"We continue to strongly condemn the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai. We also continue to urge the Government of Pakistan to dismantle Lashkar-e-Taiba and to support regional and global efforts to combat terrorism," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said.
So far the United States has been urging Pakistan to take action against LeT and its leaders. This is for the first time probably that the US has urged Pakistan to dismantle LeT.
For some experts, this could be also a tacit acknowledgement of existence of LeT structure and terror networks inside Pakistan.
The strong US statement came a day after the State Department told the Department of Justice that the two former chiefs of Pakistani spy agency ISI ? Ahmed Shuja Pasha and Nadeem Taj ? have immunity in 26/11 case filed in a New York court.
"It is important to note that this submission is based on one specific case and should not be viewed as a US Government determination on the merits of the Plaintiffs` claims," Nuland told PTI when asked about the determination made in this regard by the State Department and the Department of Justice affidavit filed before a New York court on Monday.
"On December 17 the Department of Justice filed a Statement of Interest and Suggestion of Immunity in this case involving the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai. I will refer you to that public filing, and to the Department of Justice for additional questions on the technical legal aspects of this filing," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!