US asks Pakistan to dismantle Lashkar-e-Taiba
Washington: The United States Wednesday asked Pakistan to dismantle Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), a terror group responsible for several terrorist attacks inside India including 26/11 and attack on the Parliament.
"We continue to strongly condemn the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai. We also continue to urge the Government of Pakistan to dismantle Lashkar-e-Taiba and to support regional and global efforts to combat terrorism," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said.
So far the United States has been urging Pakistan to take action against LeT and its leaders. This is for the first time probably that the US has urged Pakistan to dismantle LeT.
For some experts, this could be also a tacit acknowledgement of existence of LeT structure and terror networks inside Pakistan.
The strong US statement came a day after the State Department told the Department of Justice that the two former chiefs of Pakistani spy agency ISI ? Ahmed Shuja Pasha and Nadeem Taj ? have immunity in 26/11 case filed in a New York court.
"It is important to note that this submission is based on one specific case and should not be viewed as a US Government determination on the merits of the Plaintiffs` claims," Nuland told PTI when asked about the determination made in this regard by the State Department and the Department of Justice affidavit filed before a New York court on Monday.
"On December 17 the Department of Justice filed a Statement of Interest and Suggestion of Immunity in this case involving the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai. I will refer you to that public filing, and to the Department of Justice for additional questions on the technical legal aspects of this filing," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report