US attorney general to visit riot-hit town
Washington: US President Barack Obama has announced that Attorney General Eric Holder will travel to Ferguson in the state of Missouri Wednesday to carry out a federal investigation into a shooting incident.
Ferguson`s suburb of St Louis has been inflamed with racial tensions since Aug 9 when a white policeman, Darren Wilson, shot dead a black teenager, Michael Brown, 18, Xinhua reported.
The tension further escalated after private autopsy results showed Brown, 18, was shot at least six times, including twice in the head.
During a press conference at White House Monday, Obama said that Holder`s visit to Ferguson will include meetings with federal investigators and local community directors.
The President said Holder will also meet with law enforcement officials "to help bring about peace and calm in Ferguson".
"While I understand the passions and the anger that arise over the death of Michael Brown, giving into that anger by looting or carrying guns, and even attacking the police, only deserves to raise tensions and stir chaos, it undermines, rather than advancing justice," Obama said.
According to the President, his own initiative for the project "My Brother`s Keeper", which is aimed to provide economic and educational support to disadvantaged minority youth in the country, has already made significant progress in the riot-hit town.
Governor of the US state of Missouri, Jay Nixon, Monday signed an order authorising use of the National Guard in Ferguson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why