US attorney general to visit riot-hit town
Washington: US President Barack Obama has announced that Attorney General Eric Holder will travel to Ferguson in the state of Missouri Wednesday to carry out a federal investigation into a shooting incident.
Ferguson`s suburb of St Louis has been inflamed with racial tensions since Aug 9 when a white policeman, Darren Wilson, shot dead a black teenager, Michael Brown, 18, Xinhua reported.
The tension further escalated after private autopsy results showed Brown, 18, was shot at least six times, including twice in the head.
During a press conference at White House Monday, Obama said that Holder`s visit to Ferguson will include meetings with federal investigators and local community directors.
The President said Holder will also meet with law enforcement officials "to help bring about peace and calm in Ferguson".
"While I understand the passions and the anger that arise over the death of Michael Brown, giving into that anger by looting or carrying guns, and even attacking the police, only deserves to raise tensions and stir chaos, it undermines, rather than advancing justice," Obama said.
According to the President, his own initiative for the project "My Brother`s Keeper", which is aimed to provide economic and educational support to disadvantaged minority youth in the country, has already made significant progress in the riot-hit town.
Governor of the US state of Missouri, Jay Nixon, Monday signed an order authorising use of the National Guard in Ferguson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh