US: Barack Obama says Akin ‘missed science class’
Washington: US President Barack Obama has mocked Republican lawmaker Todd Akin over his offensive definition of ‘legitimate rape’, saying the Missouri Congressman had ‘missed his science class’.
“Recently some of you have been paying attention to the commentary about the senator from Missouri, Akin,” Obama told a group of fundraisers.
“The interesting thing here is that this, this is an individual who sits on the House Committee on Science and Technology but somehow missed science class,” Politico quoted him, as saying.
“And it’s representative of the desire to go backwards instead of forwards and fight fights that we thought were settled 20 or 30 years ago,” he added.
Akin recently sparked off outrage by claiming in a television show that victims of ``legitimate rape`` rarely get pregnant.
He said that ``from what I understand from doctors, women`s bodies naturally reject pregnancies that result from rape”.`
Obama had earlier also criticised Akin’s definition of a ``legitimate rape``, and insisted that distinguishing among types of rape doesn`t make sense.
Obama had said that Akin`s remarks underscore why politicians, most of whom are men, should not make health decisions on behalf of women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- DNA: Analysis of world's largest plane 'Stratolaunch'