US boy charged with hate crime on Muslim
New York: A 12-year-old boy accused of trying to rip the head scarf off a Muslim classmate during recess has been charged in New York City with a hate crime.
The boy appeared on Thursday in family court with his father and his lawyer. He`s a 6th-grader at a Staten Island middle school and is being charged as a juvenile. A call to his lawyer wasn`t immediately returned. The boy`s father says his son is also a Muslim.
Police and school officials say the boy has a history of harassing the 13-year-old girl, taunting her and threatening her on at least four separate occasions.
The police report says he asked, "Are you Muslim?" while trying to remove her scarf.
The girl suffered minor injuries. If convicted, he faces 18 months in juvenile detention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal