US breaks Pentagon-Russian arms exporter ties
Moscow: The US lawmakers have passed a bill which breaks the relationship between the Pentagon and Russian state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport.
According to the House of Representatives’ website, the US lawmakers passed a bill on Thursday breaking contracts between the Pentagon and Russian state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport, which they claim is "arming the oppressive Syrian regime".
The bill, introduced by Democrat Congressman Jim Moran, was passed by an overwhelming 407-5 vote. It was attached to the 2013 US military budget, according to the House of Representatives` statement.
"It is beyond unacceptable for the United States Government to work with a firm that is arming the oppressive Syrian regime," Moran said.
"The United States does not condone the massacre of innocent men, women and children. Furthering contracts with Rosoboronexport contradicts our nation`s commitment to the principles of freedom and democracy."
The passage of the bill came several hours after Russia and China vetoed for the third time a UN Security Council resolution on Syria authorising non-military sanctions against President Bashar al-Assad`s regime.
According to the statement by the US lawmakers, Rosoboronexport has supplied nearly USD 1 billion in arms to Syria over the last year.
The break with the US could affect an option contract signed July 18 for a further 10 machines worth USD 171 million. Deliveries of the second batch were due by 2016.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'