US breaks Pentagon-Russian arms exporter ties
Moscow: The US lawmakers have passed a bill which breaks the relationship between the Pentagon and Russian state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport.
According to the House of Representatives’ website, the US lawmakers passed a bill on Thursday breaking contracts between the Pentagon and Russian state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport, which they claim is "arming the oppressive Syrian regime".
The bill, introduced by Democrat Congressman Jim Moran, was passed by an overwhelming 407-5 vote. It was attached to the 2013 US military budget, according to the House of Representatives` statement.
"It is beyond unacceptable for the United States Government to work with a firm that is arming the oppressive Syrian regime," Moran said.
"The United States does not condone the massacre of innocent men, women and children. Furthering contracts with Rosoboronexport contradicts our nation`s commitment to the principles of freedom and democracy."
The passage of the bill came several hours after Russia and China vetoed for the third time a UN Security Council resolution on Syria authorising non-military sanctions against President Bashar al-Assad`s regime.
According to the statement by the US lawmakers, Rosoboronexport has supplied nearly USD 1 billion in arms to Syria over the last year.
The break with the US could affect an option contract signed July 18 for a further 10 machines worth USD 171 million. Deliveries of the second batch were due by 2016.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- Afzal Guru event: JNU panel holds 21 students 'guilty of indiscipline'; no relief to Umar, Anirban
- Water shortage may have led to demise of Maya civilisation