US briefs Security Council members on Iran plot
United Nations: The United States on Wednesday
started individual briefings with UN Security Council
ambassadors over its allegations that Iran was behind a plot
to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to Washington, diplomats
US ambassador Susan Rice was to have individual meetings
with other envoys on the 15 nation council.
It was not immediately clear whether the United States
would seek a Security Council condemnation or some other
action over the alleged plot which Iran has strongly denied.
"We are taking it step-by-step," said a western diplomat.
The US Justice Department yesterday charged two men with
conspiring with Iranian officials to assassinate Saudi
ambassador to the United States Adel al-Jubeir.
Iran, which faces four rounds of UN Security Council
sanctions over its nuclear program, called the US allegations
part of an "evil plot" against the Islamic Republic, and in a
letter of protest to the UN Security Council accused
Washington of "warmongering."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read