US briefs Security Council members on Iran plot
United Nations: The United States on Wednesday
started individual briefings with UN Security Council
ambassadors over its allegations that Iran was behind a plot
to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to Washington, diplomats
US ambassador Susan Rice was to have individual meetings
with other envoys on the 15 nation council.
It was not immediately clear whether the United States
would seek a Security Council condemnation or some other
action over the alleged plot which Iran has strongly denied.
"We are taking it step-by-step," said a western diplomat.
The US Justice Department yesterday charged two men with
conspiring with Iranian officials to assassinate Saudi
ambassador to the United States Adel al-Jubeir.
Iran, which faces four rounds of UN Security Council
sanctions over its nuclear program, called the US allegations
part of an "evil plot" against the Islamic Republic, and in a
letter of protest to the UN Security Council accused
Washington of "warmongering."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!