US Burma dialogue begin, monks demand timeline
Washington: The Obama Administration and the Burmese Military junta has initiated the US-Burma dialogue process with their first meeting, amidst call from the Burmese monks that there should be time line for such a dialogue process.
Welcoming Obama Administration`s decision to use a combination of sanctions and diplomacy against Burma, the International Burmese Monks Organisation (IBMO) Wednesday demanded a time line for any dialogue process with the military junta.
"US direct diplomacy with the regime should not be an open-ended process, but should take place within a reasonable timeframe and with clear benchmarks," the IBMO said in its written testimony submitted to the Subcommittee on East Asian and Pacific Affairs, Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.
Meanwhile, Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia Curt Campbell led the American delegation in the first US-Burma talks. The Burmese Minister of Science and Technology
U Thang led the junta. No details of the meeting held in New York, however, were immediately available.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last week and Campbell on Monday had announced the decision of the Obama Administration to hold talks with the Burmese military junta,
even though it insisted that its goals have not changes – protection of human rights and establishment of democracy in that country.
Although the policy of engagement marks a major diversion from the past, Campbell said sanctions would not be lifted immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’