US Burma dialogue begin, monks demand timeline
Washington: The Obama Administration and the Burmese Military junta has initiated the US-Burma dialogue process with their first meeting, amidst call from the Burmese monks that there should be time line for such a dialogue process.
Welcoming Obama Administration`s decision to use a combination of sanctions and diplomacy against Burma, the International Burmese Monks Organisation (IBMO) Wednesday demanded a time line for any dialogue process with the military junta.
"US direct diplomacy with the regime should not be an open-ended process, but should take place within a reasonable timeframe and with clear benchmarks," the IBMO said in its written testimony submitted to the Subcommittee on East Asian and Pacific Affairs, Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.
Meanwhile, Assistant Secretary of State for East Asia Curt Campbell led the American delegation in the first US-Burma talks. The Burmese Minister of Science and Technology
U Thang led the junta. No details of the meeting held in New York, however, were immediately available.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last week and Campbell on Monday had announced the decision of the Obama Administration to hold talks with the Burmese military junta,
even though it insisted that its goals have not changes – protection of human rights and establishment of democracy in that country.
Although the policy of engagement marks a major diversion from the past, Campbell said sanctions would not be lifted immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble