US buys 10 Russian choppers for Afghanistan
Moscow: The Pentagon is buying ten Mi-17 helicopters from Russia`s state-run weapons broker Rosoboronexport for the Afghan military, the company said on Thursday.
"I can confirm to you that we have indeed been approached by the US Defense Department about the purchase of ten Mi-17s," said the company`s spokesperson Vyacheslav Davidenko.
Though Davidenko declined to disclose the value of the purchase, Rosoboronexport signed a $367 million deal with the US in May 2011 for delivery of 21 Mi-17V5s.
The Pentagon is also reported to have bought two Mi-17s earlier this year.
The US Defense Department has been under pressure over its dealings with the company after US Senator John Cornyn accused the firm of selling arms to the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
US State Secretary Hillary Clinton said Tuesday Russia was sending attack helicopters to Syria, a claim dismissed by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, who accused the US of arming rebels fighting against Assad`s rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery