US buys 10 Russian choppers for Afghanistan
Moscow: The Pentagon is buying ten Mi-17 helicopters from Russia`s state-run weapons broker Rosoboronexport for the Afghan military, the company said on Thursday.
"I can confirm to you that we have indeed been approached by the US Defense Department about the purchase of ten Mi-17s," said the company`s spokesperson Vyacheslav Davidenko.
Though Davidenko declined to disclose the value of the purchase, Rosoboronexport signed a $367 million deal with the US in May 2011 for delivery of 21 Mi-17V5s.
The Pentagon is also reported to have bought two Mi-17s earlier this year.
The US Defense Department has been under pressure over its dealings with the company after US Senator John Cornyn accused the firm of selling arms to the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
US State Secretary Hillary Clinton said Tuesday Russia was sending attack helicopters to Syria, a claim dismissed by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, who accused the US of arming rebels fighting against Assad`s rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug