US cable names 6 women as potential al Qaeda staff
Melbourne: Whistle-blowing site Wikileaks
has released a secret US diplomatic cable which has named some
six women living in Australia as potential targets of an
al Qaeda plot to recruit women for terror attacks.
The women - four Australians, a Briton and a Filipino -
are among 23 people based in Australia, alleged by Australian
Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) and the US State
Department to be connected to al Qaeda in the Arabian
The latest batch of confidential and secret cable,
written by the US embassy in Canberra in January last year,
was sent to US intelligence agencies and 15 American
diplomatic stations around the world.
"Recent threat information suggests (al Qaeda in the
Arabian Peninsula) is looking to identify a female for a
future attack," the cable states referring to the
organisation`s most internationally active branch, local media
The document claims al Qaeda has been looking to recruit
women for future terrorist attacks.
Australia has flayed whistle-blowing site, calling it
"incredibly irresponsible" for publishing the cable detailing
Australians with suspected links to Yemeni terrorism.
Wikileaks cables have also reportedly revealed there was
a split between the Government and Reserve Bank over the
handling of the economy during the global financial crisis.
The branch, referred to as AQAP, is believed to have
played a role in most attempted attacks in the West since
Of particular concern to intelligence agencies is a
belief that many on the list have been in contact with AQAP`s
chief propagandist and radical preacher, Anwar al Awlaqi, a US
citizen believed to be a key figure in AQAP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand