US calls for Tunis embassy attackers to be tried
Tunis: The US ambassador in Tunisia has called on the government to bring the perpetrators of the embassy attack to justice.
In a message posted on the embassy website yesterday, Jacob Walles pressed authorities to "carry through with its investigation" and try those responsible.
A month ago, thousands of protesters stormed the US Embassy compound, tore down the American flag and looted and burned buildings, including a nearby American school.
The message emphasised it was the government`s responsibility to provide security for "its citizens and guests."
Tunisia has arrested about nearly 100 people for involvement in the attack, charged with attacking the security of the state. According to their lawyers, some are facing the death penalty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter