`US can defend against N Korea nuclear strike`
Washington: The White House says the US is fully capable of defending itself against a North Korean ballistic missile attack.
White House spokesman Jay Carney was responding on Thursday to the North`s vow to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the US.
That threat came in retaliation for tough new UN sanctions against Pyongyang for its recent nuclear test. Carney says the sanctions further isolate North Korea and show its leaders what will happen if they defy the international community.
He says the breadth and severity of the sanctions show the world takes seriously the threat of North Korea`s nuclear program.
North Korea boasts of nuclear bombs but isn`t thought to have the ability to produce a warhead that could be used on a missile capable of reaching the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death