US candidate Cain set for `major announcement`
Atlanta: Republican presidential
candidate Herman Cain is making a "major announcement" on Saturday
on whether he will abandon his shaken campaign after a woman`s
allegation of an extramarital affair.
It is the latest and perhaps final twist in a saga that
has taken the Georgia businessman from long shot to surprise
front-runner to embattled tabloid subject.
Cain arrived at his home yesterday afternoon to talk
with his wife of 42 years, Gloria, in their first face-to-face
meeting since the allegation of a 13-year affair was made
public this week. Cain`s campaign also has been rocked by
multiple sexual harassment allegations. He denies wrongdoing.
A political novice, Cain had leveraged strong anti-tax
tea party support to hurtle to the front of the pack in
October, casting himself as an antiestablishment outsider. His
catchy 9-9-9 tax overhaul proposal helped his rise.
The main beneficiary of Cain`s fall has been former
speaker of the US House of Representatives Newt Gingrich, who
has risen steadily in polls nationally and in early voting
states. Gingrich has emerged as the main challenger to fellow
front-runner Mitt Romney in the Republican race to take on
President Barack Obama next year.
Earlier yesterday, in a speech in South Carolina, Cain
would not disclose whether he would drop out but told
supporters to stay tuned. He said he would clarify the next
steps of the campaign and assured backers the affair claim was
"garbage." But he also said he needed to consider what he
would do with campaign donations already accepted if he
dropped out of the race.
"My wife and family comes first. I`ve got to take that
into consideration," Cain said.
Cain had not seen his wife since Ginger White, 46, came
forward and said she had a sexual affair with Cain that lasted
more than a decade. He has said they were only friends but
acknowledged that he helped pay her monthly bills and
expenses. His wife, Cain said, did not know of the friendship
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Minor gang-raped in UP's Etah
- Three drowned as car plunges into canal in UP
- After clinching historic silver medal, here's what PV Sindhu was allowed to do by coach Pullela Gopichand
- Welspun India hires Ernst & Young to probe US export lapses
- BIZARRE PUNISHMENT! Kim Jong-Un to make North Korean athletes, who could not win medals in Rio Olympics, work in coal mines?