US captures Osama bin Laden`s son-in-law in Jordan
Ankara: Osama bin Laden`s son-in-law Sulaiman Abu Ghaith was seized by CIA agents and taken to the United States after Turkey deported him to Jordan this month, a media report said.
Abu Ghaith, the former spokesman of the al Qaeda network, was seized last month at a luxury hotel in Ankara after a tip-off from CIA and was held there by the police despite a US request for his extradition.
Turkish authorities deported Abu Ghaith to Jordan on March 01 to be sent back to Kuwait but he was seized by CIA agents in Jordan and taken to the United States, the report said.
His deportation coincided with a visit by US Secretary of State John Kerry to Ankara as part of a regional tour, it added.
The Turkish Foreign Ministry declined to comment on the report while the US embassy in Ankara said: "We`re aware of the reports."
Ankara considers Abu Ghaith a "stateless" person as he was stripped of his Kuwaiti nationality after appearing in videos defending the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States and threatening further violence.
The United States wanted him extradited over his alleged connection to the attacks.
He appeared in a propaganda video in the aftermath of 9/11, standing beside bin Laden, who was killed in May 2011 in Pakistan in a covert US operation.
Abu Ghaith was detained in Turkey after he allegedly entered the country illegally from Iran.
He was freed by an Ankara court because he did not commit any crime on Turkish soil and local media claimed Turkey had hesitated to extradite him to the United States fearing it could become a target of al Qaeda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP