Tehran: A senior Revolutionary Guard
commander threatened on Friday that US aircraft carriers would
be targeted if Iran came under attack amid a standoff with the
West over Tehran`s nuclear programme.
Iran has often warned of major retaliation if they
faced a military strike from Israel or the West, but the
latest comments appear tailored to emphasise the expanding
range of Iranian missiles following 10 days of war games. The
exercises included unveiling underground missile silos that
Iran says is capable of multiple launches.
"Aircraft carriers ... are moving targets. If the
enemy threatens us, we will target them," said Amir Ali
Hajizadeh, the commander of the Guard`s aerospace force, in
comments broadcast on state TV.
Hajizadeh also confirmed that Iran secretly conducted
missile tests in February that he claimed hit targets at the
"mouth of the Indian Ocean", an apparent reference to areas
near the Strait of Hormouz at the southern end of the Gulf.
Iran has tried to project its military might outside
the Gulf, where the US has several air bases and the home
port of the Navy`s 5th Fleet in Bahrain.
Last month, British Foreign Secretary William Hague
told the House of Commons that Iran has conducted covert tests
of ballistic missiles since October in addition to the
publicly announced military manoeuvres.
Hajizadeh only confirmed that missile tests were
carried out. It was not clear if the covert tests in February
were the same as claimed by Hague.
The Islamic Republic remains locked in a standoff with
the West over its nuclear programme, which the US and its
allies suspect is aimed at developing atomic weapons. Iran
denies the charges, and says the programme is only for