US Centcom says no classified information believed posted by hackers
US Central Command said Monday no classified information had been posted online after a group declaring sympathy for Islamic State jihadists hacked its social media accounts.
Washington: US Central Command said Monday no classified information had been posted online after a group declaring sympathy for Islamic State jihadists hacked its social media accounts.
"Our initial assessment is that no classified information was posted and that none of the information posted came from CENTCOM`s server or social media sites," said a statement from Central Command, which oversees the US-led air war against the IS group in Iraq and Syria.
The command`s Twitter account had been briefly taken over by a group pledging support to IS earlier Monday, with a hooded fighter and the words "CyberCaliphate" and "I love you ISIS" replacing the usual logo.
Its YouTube account was also hacked.
However, Central Command played down the seriousness of the hack, saying the incident was being regarded as "cybervandalism" that had "no operational impact."
"These sites reside on commercial, non-Defense Department servers and both sites have been temporarily taken offline while we look into the incident further," the statement said.
"CENTCOM`s operational military networks were not compromised and there was no operational impact to US Central Command.
"We are viewing this purely as a case of cybervandalism."