US charges Mexican ex-governor with helping drug cartel
Chicago: US prosecutors have unveiled criminal charges against a former Mexican governor accused of helping drug smugglers operate freely in his state in exchange for millions of dollars in bribes.
Tomas Yarrington Ruvalcaba, who served as governor of Tamaulipas from 1999 until 2004, was accused of accepting "large bribes" in exchange for turning a blind eye to the drug smuggling in his state from the time he was a candidate for office.
He was also accused of actively participating in the smuggling of large amounts of cocaine through the Port of Veracruz into the United States from 2007 until 2009, according to a US federal indictment unsealed yesterday.
The bribes were delivered by corrupt members of the state police and hidden in US bank accounts and Texas real estate, prosecutors said in a 53-page indictment.
Yarrington, 56, could spend the rest of his life in a US prison if he is arrested and convicted of the conspiracy, money laundering and bank fraud charges.
The charges, which were approved by a grand jury in May, come after a years-long investigation.
Yarrington`s membership in the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) was suspended last year after US prosecutors accused him of accepting bribes from drug cartels in a civil forfeiture case aimed at seizing his assets.
Yarrington served as mayor of Matamoros from 1992 to 1995 and was a presidential candidate in the 2005 election.
Prosecutors also charged Fernando Alejandro Cano Martinez, 57, the owner of a Mexican construction firm who allegedly helped to hide the ill-gotten gains by setting up shell corporations and purchasing property on Yarrington`s behalf.
Tamaulipas is across the border from the Texas towns of Laredo and Brownsville.
The charges were filed in a Texas federal court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday