US charges NSA leaker Edward Snowden with espionage
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: National Security Agency (NSA) leaker Edward Snowden has been charged with espionage and theft of government property by the Justice Department in the NSA surveillance case.
The criminal charges against the fugitive former NSA contractor were pressed after Snowden confessed to leaking details to monitor phone and internet data, as per a news agency report.
Believed to be hiding in Hong Kong, request to extradite Snowden from Hong Kong will also be reportedly made by the US.
A one-page criminal complaint unsealed Friday in federal court in Alexandria, Va., says Snowden engaged in unauthorized communication of national defense information and willful communication of classified communications intelligence information. Both are charges under the Espionage Act.
Snowden also is charged with theft of government property. All three crimes carry a maximum 10-year prison penalty.
The federal court in the Eastern District of Virginia where the complaint was filed is headquarters for Snowden`s former employer, government contractor Booz Allen Hamilton.
The complaint is dated June 14, five days after Snowden`s name first surfaced as the leaker of information about the two programs in which the NSA gathered telephone and Internet records to ferret out terror plots.
The complaint could become an integral part of a US government effort to have Snowden extradited from Hong Kong, a process that could turn into a prolonged legal battle. Snowden could contest extradition on grounds of political persecution. In general, the extradition agreement between the US and Hong Kong excepts political offenses from the obligation to turn over a person.
It was unclear late Friday whether the US had made an extradition request. Hong Kong had no immediate reaction to word of the charges against Snowden.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj