US, China discuss North Korea, maritime security
Washington: US and Chinese military officials met on Friday for "frank" and "candid" talks that included North Korea, maritime security and Iran, part of a bid to restart bilateral military ties, a US official said.
Michele Flournoy, undersecretary of defence for policy, met with General Ma Xiaotian, deputy chief of general staff of the People`s Liberation Army, for periodic military talks.
"This meeting was part of a restart of US-China military to military relationship, which is a very important one," Flournoy told reporters.
Defence Secretary Robert Gates will visit China next month as the world`s two largest economies try to smooth differences over Taiwan, military exercises and China`s response to North Korea`s artillery attack last month on a South Korean island.
China has hit back at the United States and its Asian allies for their refusal to talk to isolated North Korea, saying dialogue is the only way to calm escalating tensions on the divided peninsula.
Washington has called on Beijing to take its ally to task after last month`s shelling and after North Korea revealed advances to its nuclear program opening another route to make an atomic bomb.
"I won`t say we agreed on every issue. Where we did differ, we had a very candid and frank and productive exchange of views," Flournoy said of Friday`s talks.
While the two countries have been at odds over naval drills in seas close to China and over Chinese claims to the South China sea, Flournoy praised China for supporting talks between major powers and Tehran over Iran`s disputed nuclear program.
The two officials discussed common interests in stability on the Korean peninsula and "getting North Korea back on a path demonstrating its willingness to denuclearise”, Flournoy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources