US-China relations: Kissinger in Beijing
Beijing: Former US Secretary Henry
Kissinger, known for his role in 1971 in bringing about the
historic Sino-US rapprochement through his famous `Ping-Pong`
diplomacy, is here again apparently to smoothen the strained
Kissinger, 86, regarded widely as Washington`s trouble
shooter arrived in Beijing last weekend after discharged from
a hospital in Seoul where he underwent treatment for a stomach
During his visit, coinciding with the tour of British
Foreign Secretary David Miliband, he met Chinese Vice Premier
Li Keqiang and discussed with him the strains in the bilateral
Li told Kissinger that he hoped America would safeguard
the stable growth of China-US ties. "The severe disturbance
that recently occurred in bilateral relations is not in
accordance with the interests of both countries," Li said.
The Chinese leader was referring to Washington`s
announcement of weapon sales to Taiwan, President Barack
Obama`s meeting with the Dalai Lama and trade disputes between
the two countries, official media reported here.
Li praised the contribution made by Kissinger to
advancing the China-US cooperation, hoping he would continue
his efforts for the growth of bilateral relations, the report
The Chinese leader said a sound China-US relationship was
in the fundamental interests of both nations and peoples, and
was also conducive to peace, stability and development of the
Asia-Pacific region and the world at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves