US-China relations: Kissinger in Beijing
Beijing: Former US Secretary Henry
Kissinger, known for his role in 1971 in bringing about the
historic Sino-US rapprochement through his famous `Ping-Pong`
diplomacy, is here again apparently to smoothen the strained
Kissinger, 86, regarded widely as Washington`s trouble
shooter arrived in Beijing last weekend after discharged from
a hospital in Seoul where he underwent treatment for a stomach
During his visit, coinciding with the tour of British
Foreign Secretary David Miliband, he met Chinese Vice Premier
Li Keqiang and discussed with him the strains in the bilateral
Li told Kissinger that he hoped America would safeguard
the stable growth of China-US ties. "The severe disturbance
that recently occurred in bilateral relations is not in
accordance with the interests of both countries," Li said.
The Chinese leader was referring to Washington`s
announcement of weapon sales to Taiwan, President Barack
Obama`s meeting with the Dalai Lama and trade disputes between
the two countries, official media reported here.
Li praised the contribution made by Kissinger to
advancing the China-US cooperation, hoping he would continue
his efforts for the growth of bilateral relations, the report
The Chinese leader said a sound China-US relationship was
in the fundamental interests of both nations and peoples, and
was also conducive to peace, stability and development of the
Asia-Pacific region and the world at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus