US-China relationship a mix of competition, cooperation: Biden
Washington: The United States` relationship with China is a healthy mix of competition and cooperation and America does not view it in terms of any conflict, Vice President Joe Biden has said.
"We do not view our relationship and future relations with China in terms of conflict or the talk of inevitable conflict," Biden said yesterday.
"We view it in terms of a healthy mix of competition and cooperation, a competition that we welcome. We like to compete. Competition is good for both of us, as long as the game is fair," he said.
Biden said that to reverse its declining growth, China would have to make reforms which will not only help the largest Asian economy but also the region and the world.
Chinese leadership has concluded that their country needs to shift to a more consumer-driven economy, he said.
"They`ve concluded they have to create a market-based, well- regulated financial system. They have concluded they need to liberalise their exchange rates," he said.
Noting that economic growth critically depends on peace and stability, he said that is why there needs to be 21st-century rules of the road, not only in the economic sphere but also with regard to security, with regard to maritime disputes.
"It`s critical that all nations have a clear understanding of what constitutes acceptable international behaviour. That means no intimidation, no coercion, no aggression, and a commitment from all parties to reduce the risk of mistake and miscalculation," Biden said.
"So it`s in everyone`s interest that there be freedom of navigation, unimpeded lawful commerce, respect for international laws and norms and peaceful resolution of territorial disputes," he said.
Biden encouraged China and ASEAN to quickly reach an agreement on a code of conduct in the South China Sea, setting clear rules as the first step to manage disputes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!