US-China relationship a mix of competition, cooperation: Biden
Washington: The United States` relationship with China is a healthy mix of competition and cooperation and America does not view it in terms of any conflict, Vice President Joe Biden has said.
"We do not view our relationship and future relations with China in terms of conflict or the talk of inevitable conflict," Biden said yesterday.
"We view it in terms of a healthy mix of competition and cooperation, a competition that we welcome. We like to compete. Competition is good for both of us, as long as the game is fair," he said.
Biden said that to reverse its declining growth, China would have to make reforms which will not only help the largest Asian economy but also the region and the world.
Chinese leadership has concluded that their country needs to shift to a more consumer-driven economy, he said.
"They`ve concluded they have to create a market-based, well- regulated financial system. They have concluded they need to liberalise their exchange rates," he said.
Noting that economic growth critically depends on peace and stability, he said that is why there needs to be 21st-century rules of the road, not only in the economic sphere but also with regard to security, with regard to maritime disputes.
"It`s critical that all nations have a clear understanding of what constitutes acceptable international behaviour. That means no intimidation, no coercion, no aggression, and a commitment from all parties to reduce the risk of mistake and miscalculation," Biden said.
"So it`s in everyone`s interest that there be freedom of navigation, unimpeded lawful commerce, respect for international laws and norms and peaceful resolution of territorial disputes," he said.
Biden encouraged China and ASEAN to quickly reach an agreement on a code of conduct in the South China Sea, setting clear rules as the first step to manage disputes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you