‘US-China ties neither next war nor the new G2’
Washington: The relationship between America and China, as being explained in different quarters, was neither the next cold war nor the new G-2, US Vice President Joe Biden said on Wednesday, noting the truth is more complicated.
"Our relationship is subject to all kinds of caricatures. I`ve heard the US-China relationship described as everything from the next Cold War to the new G-2, and the truth is, neither are accurate, neither are accurate. The truth is more complicated," Biden said in his inaugural address to the fifth annual US-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue.
"Our relationship is and will continue to be, God willing, a mix of competition and cooperation. And competition can be good for both of us and cooperation is essential.
For two nations as large and influential as ours, it`s only natural that there be competition. And if the game is fair and healthy political and economic competition can then marshal the best energies of both our societies," he said.
Biden quickly pointed out that this mix places an added burden on leader of both the countries.
"A relationship like ours will work only if the leaders and citizens approach it with a sense of vision and a spirit of maturity. We will have our disagreements. We have them now. But if we are straightforward, clear and predictable with one another, we can find solutions that work for both of us," the US Vice President said.
Reiterating that the US is and will remain a pacific power, Biden said as the Obama Administration implements its policy of rebalancing toward the Asia-Pacific, it`s important that the two countries communicate clearly and work closely with one another on what is going on.
"We have big issues to deal with. We each have important contributions to make to global and economic stability," he said.
Noting that the two countries will benefit from an open, secure, reliable internet, he said: "Outright cyber enabling theft that US companies are experiencing now must be viewed as out of bounds and needs to stop."
In his remarks, Chinese State Councillor Yang Jiechi said the China-US relationship has reached a new starting point.
At this round of the S&ED, he said, China hopes to expand and deepen practical cooperation with the on a wide range of bilateral and global issues and enhancement of dialogue mechanism.
"China is the biggest developing country, and the United States is the largest developed country. There are many common interests between us, as well as some friction and difficulties. However, our common interests far outweigh our differences.
We must seek consensus while showing differences and turn our disputes and differences into commonalities. And we should work together to advance our relationship," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA