US citizen detained in North Korea
Washington: An American national has been detained in North Korea, the country with which the US has no diplomatic relationship, the State Department said on Wednesday.
"We are obviously aware of these reports that a US citizen has been detained in North Korea," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters.
"We obviously have no higher priority than the welfare of our citizens. As you may know, we have no representation in Pyongyang," she said.
The embassy of Sweden acts as America`s protecting power for issues involving US citizens in North Korea.
"I can`t comment any further than that due to privacy considerations," Nuland said in response to a question.
South Korean media earlier reported that 44-year-old Kenneth Bae, a tour operator, was detained by North Korean authorities during a five-day visit to the country`s coastal city of Rajin in early November, said Yonhap.
Bae was interrogated after authorities found a computer hard disk, according to Yonhap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month