US citizen held in Spain for funding al Qaeda
Barcelona: A US citizen was arrested in this Spanish city for sending money to al Qaeda`s North African branch, police said.
Mohamed Omar Debhi, who is of Algerian descent, is accused of sending more than EUR 60,000 to the Al Qaeda Organisation in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), which is based in Algeria.
Debhi, 43, was arrested in the Esplugues de Llobregat district, where he is a resident. He also faces charges of possessing a false ID and defrauding Spanish social security services.
He is alleged to have sent money via a bank transaction to a fugitive Algerian militant named by police as Toufik Mizi.
Police have been searching for Mizi since 2006, who is suspected of belonging to a terrorist organisation. Police believe he fled Spain several years ago when the authorities smashed an al Qaeda fund-raising cell.
US officials did not immediately comment on Debhi`s arrest, and little is known of Debhi`s American connections - although it is believed he once lived near Houston in Texas.
AQIM emerged in early 2007 from an Algerian militant group, the Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat (GSPC), which aligned itself with al Qaeda.
The outfit has waged a campaign of suicide bomb attacks and ambushes in Algeria, and in recent years has become more active in the Sahara.
The group frequently kidnaps Europeans travelling in the Sahara desert regions of Mali, Niger, Algeria and Mauritania.
The group is still holding five French citizens snatched from a uranium mine in Niger two weeks ago.
It has in the past killed several hostages, most recently Michel Germaneau, a 78-year-old French hostage being held in Mali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared