US citizen pleads guilty to aiding al Qaeda
Washington: A Moroccan-origin US citizen has pleaded guilty before a US court to providing material support to al Qaeda, adding to the growing list of recent cases of naturalised American nationals involved in terror activities.
Khalid Ouazzani, 32, a naturalised citizen of the United States, swore an oath of allegiance to al Qaeda in June 2008 and has admitted to have personally provided more than USD 23,000 to the terrorist organisation, US Attorney for Western District of Missouri, Beth Phillips said on Wednesday.
In a statement, the Justice Department said Ouazzani, of Kansas City, waived his right to a grand jury and pleaded guilty before US District Judge Howard F Sachs to a federal information that charges him with conspiracy to provide material support to a terrorist organisation.
Ouazzani also pleaded guilty to charges contained in an indictment that was returned under seal by a federal grand jury in Kansas City on February 03, 2010.
He, further, admitted of participating in a conspiracy to provide material support or resources to al Qaeda from August 2007 to February 2010.
"Ouazzani had conversations with others about various ways to support al Qaeda, including plans for them to fight in Afghanistan, Iraq or Somalia," the Justice Department said.
According to the Justice Department, Ouazzani agreed to contribute USD 6,500 to al Qaeda in August 2007.
A co-conspirator, who is not identified in court documents, made that payment on Ouazzani`s behalf.
He repaid the co-conspirator in November 2007 through a wire transfer to the co-conspirators bank account in the UAE.
"Those funds came from Ouazzani`s sale of his business, Hafssa LLC, doing business as Truman Used Auto Parts, a retail operation that bought and sold used auto parts and used motor vehicles," the statement said.
The 32-year-old agreed to pay USD 17,000, which represented his profit from the sale of an apartment in the UAE that was owned by him and a co-conspirator, to al Qaeda in June or July 2008, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India