US clinic offers chance for free human eggs
London: An American infertility clinic is
offering free human eggs to one British woman for attending an
informational seminar today in London.
The promotion, which has been described by some as a
raffle, has sparked an ethical debate in Britain about whether
women should be paid for their eggs, which is illegal in the
European Union, but not in the United States.
The Genetics and IVF Institute held a free educational
seminar for British couples today. Of the participants, one
will win a treatment cycle for donated in-vitro fertilization,
to produce eggs. The prize is not based on a paid raffle.
In a statement, the clinic said its egg donors are
college-educated women between 19 and 32. In the U.S., women
are routinely paid from USD 10,000 to USD 35,000 or more for
In Britain, women cannot be paid for their eggs and can
only be compensated for their travel expenses and time off
work; that cannot exceed more than USD 384) per treatment
cycle. To donate eggs, a woman must undergo a monthlong
treatment that involves injecting herself with hormones and
then undergoing a surgical procedure to retrieve the eggs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security