US Coast guard rescues six Iranians from Gulf
Washington: A US Coast Guard cutter has rescued six Iranian mariners from the North Arabian Gulf after the engine of the ship started malfunctioning, the Pentagon said on Tuesday.
"A US Coast Guard cutter, assigned to commander task force 55 rescued six Iranian mariners from the North Arabian Gulf," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters during an interaction with reporters.
The rescue occurred at about 3 am local time on Monday, and the Coast Guard Cutter came to the rescue of the Iranians after they sought help with the help of flash lights, he said.
The Iranians sustained injuries, including burn injuries. They are now being treated abroad the US Coast Guard cutter.
On Thursday, a US Navy destroyer had rescued thirteen Iranians, more than 40 days after their boat was commandeered by suspected Somali pirates in the northern Arabian Sea.
The rescue came just days after TIran warned the US to keep its warships out of the Persian Gulf, an irony not lost on American officials who trumpeted the news.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!