US college finds explosives after man found dead
Orlando: Hundreds of students were evacuated on early Monday from a dorm on the University of Central Florida campus in Orlando after explosives devices were found while authorities were investigating a death.
Police were called to the dorm after a fire alarm went off. Arriving officers found a man dead from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police told local TV stations that they found an assault weapon and improvised explosive devices on the scene.
A university spokeswoman said the devices were found in Tower 1 dorm. Police said a bomb squad was sent to the campus.
About 500 students were evacuated from the dorm and a parking garage was closed.
The university cancelled classes through noon Monday as a precaution.
A statement on the university’s website said the UCF Arena will open on Monday morning to accommodate displaced students. Counsellors would be available to talk to students who need assistance.
It was not immediately known whether the dead man is a student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda