US college finds explosives after man found dead
Orlando: Hundreds of students were evacuated on early Monday from a dorm on the University of Central Florida campus in Orlando after explosives devices were found while authorities were investigating a death.
Police were called to the dorm after a fire alarm went off. Arriving officers found a man dead from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police told local TV stations that they found an assault weapon and improvised explosive devices on the scene.
A university spokeswoman said the devices were found in Tower 1 dorm. Police said a bomb squad was sent to the campus.
About 500 students were evacuated from the dorm and a parking garage was closed.
The university cancelled classes through noon Monday as a precaution.
A statement on the university’s website said the UCF Arena will open on Monday morning to accommodate displaced students. Counsellors would be available to talk to students who need assistance.
It was not immediately known whether the dead man is a student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray