US: Colorado wildfires force hundreds of evacuations
Denver: Four wind-driven wildfires forced the evacuations of 271 homes in the foothills west of Denver on Friday, in what has been an active early start to the wildfire season in Colorado.
The largest blaze is burning through tinder-dry trees outside Evergreen, Colorado, Jacki Kelley, spokeswoman for the Jefferson County Sheriff`s Office, said.
"It`s burned only about 40 acres so far, but the winds are crazy and it`s definitely burning near homes," Kelley said.
Kelley said the county`s resources are stretched thin because all the fires broke out simultaneously in the late afternoon when swirling winds kicked up through the narrow mountain canyons.
Reverse 911 calls were placed to neighbourhoods near the fire, and sheriff`s deputies also went door-to-door telling residents to flee, Kelley said.
Meanwhile, a wildfire that destroyed 15 homes in a canyon west of Fort Collins, Colorado this week is 55 percent contained, and mandatory evacuations have been lifted, fire managers said.
John Bustos, a fire information officer with the US Forest Service, said the 350 firefighters battling the Crystal Fire are knocking down hot spots within the 3,200-acre burn area.
Bustos said if winds are calm on Saturday, crews will do a "burnout”, meaning they will burn remaining fuels inside the fire`s perimeter.
A dry late winter and early spring, combined with trees killed by a bark-beetle infestation has put most of Colorado east of the Continental Divide at high risk for wildfires, Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper said this week.
"This is going to be a challenging summer," he said.
After touring the Crystal Fire, the governor declared the region a state disaster area, a designation that freed up USD 1.7 million for firefighting efforts.
The National Weather Service said dry, windy weather forecast for Saturday has eastern Colorado under a "red flag warning" for high risk of wildfires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people