US: Colorado wildfires force hundreds of evacuations
Denver: Four wind-driven wildfires forced the evacuations of 271 homes in the foothills west of Denver on Friday, in what has been an active early start to the wildfire season in Colorado.
The largest blaze is burning through tinder-dry trees outside Evergreen, Colorado, Jacki Kelley, spokeswoman for the Jefferson County Sheriff`s Office, said.
"It`s burned only about 40 acres so far, but the winds are crazy and it`s definitely burning near homes," Kelley said.
Kelley said the county`s resources are stretched thin because all the fires broke out simultaneously in the late afternoon when swirling winds kicked up through the narrow mountain canyons.
Reverse 911 calls were placed to neighbourhoods near the fire, and sheriff`s deputies also went door-to-door telling residents to flee, Kelley said.
Meanwhile, a wildfire that destroyed 15 homes in a canyon west of Fort Collins, Colorado this week is 55 percent contained, and mandatory evacuations have been lifted, fire managers said.
John Bustos, a fire information officer with the US Forest Service, said the 350 firefighters battling the Crystal Fire are knocking down hot spots within the 3,200-acre burn area.
Bustos said if winds are calm on Saturday, crews will do a "burnout”, meaning they will burn remaining fuels inside the fire`s perimeter.
A dry late winter and early spring, combined with trees killed by a bark-beetle infestation has put most of Colorado east of the Continental Divide at high risk for wildfires, Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper said this week.
"This is going to be a challenging summer," he said.
After touring the Crystal Fire, the governor declared the region a state disaster area, a designation that freed up USD 1.7 million for firefighting efforts.
The National Weather Service said dry, windy weather forecast for Saturday has eastern Colorado under a "red flag warning" for high risk of wildfires.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?