Washington: The top US military commander in
Afghanistan on Sunday blasted as "reprehensible" the release of
Afghan war documents, saying that US partners named in them
have been put at risk.
General David Petraeus's comments came in response to a
threat by the founder of the whistleblowers' website
WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, to make public another batch of
secret documents in a "couple of weeks" despite mounting
WikiLeaks has already released 76,000 military documents
from the Afghan conflict, but is still holding another 15,000
In an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press," Petraeus
said he was not sure what might be in them, but he said the
files released so far have contained information that
compromised people working with the international forces.
"As we have looked through it more and more, there are
source names and in some cases there are actual names of
individuals with whom we have partnered in difficult missions
in difficult places.
"And obviously, that is very reprehensible."
He said the release of the documents, though consisting
of raw documents that were not top secret, was "beyond
"I mean, this is a betrayal of trust," he said.
First Published: Sunday, August 15, 2010, 21:56