US commander of Afghan war may shift to Europe
Washington: The top US commander in Afghanistan, Marine Gen John Allen, is likely to leave to become the chief allied commander in Europe early next year as the war effort moves toward its final phase, a senior US defence official said on Tuesday.
The defence official spoke on condition of anonymity because no final decision has been made on Allen`s expected move, which was first reported by The Washington Post.
Allen has run the war from Kabul since July 2011, when he replaced Gen David Petraeus, who retired from the Army to become CIA director.
Allen recently submitted to his chain of command a plan for reducing the US troop presence in Afghanistan to 68,000 by the end of September. He is scheduled to attend a NATO summit meeting in Chicago this weekend.
Among the likely candidates to replace Allen in Kabul is Navy Vice Admiral Robert S Harwood, a Navy SEAL who is deputy commander of US Central Command.
That is the post Allen held when President Barack Obama picked him to succeed Petraeus.
If nominated, as expected, and confirmed by the Senate, Allen would replace Navy Admiral James Stavridis as head of the US European Command and the top NATO commander in Europe.
Stavridis had been scheduled to leave that job this summer but has been asked to extend his tour until at least the end of the year.
In the NATO job Allen would remain heavily involved in Afghan issues, since the alliance is expected to continue supporting Afghanistan "militarily and politically" after the allied combat role largely ends in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion