US commanders in Afghanistan held accountable for failures
Washington: The US military has reprimanded
an unusually large number of commanders for battlefield
failures in Afghanistan in recent weeks, reflecting a new push
by the Pentagon to hold top officers responsible for major
incidents in which soldiers are killed or wounded.
As many as five battlefield commanders have received
letters of reprimand in the past month or have been the
subject of an investigation by a general who recommended
disciplinary action, Washington Post reported on Friday.
A sixth commander received a less-severe formal letter
of admonishment. None of the investigations or letters of
reprimand has been released publicly as the US military does
not release figures on disciplinary actions taken against
field commanders, the report said.
The paper letters of reprimand or other disciplinary
action have been recommended for officers involved in three
ambushes in which US troops battled Taliban forces in remote
villages in 2008 and 2009.
Such administrative actions, a departure for the US
military, can scuttle chances for promotion and end a career
if they are made part of an officer`s permanent personnel
file, the Post reported.
Disciplinary action has been more common in cases in
which US troops have injured or killed civilians.
The reprimands come amid growing political pressure
from American lawmakers who have pushed the military to assign
greater accountability for incidents in which large numbers of
US troops are killed or wounded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam