US commando team should stay in Iraq: Admiral
Washington: The admiral tapped to be the new commander of US special operations forces says a small commando force should remain in Iraq after the end of the year, when all American troops are scheduled to leave.
Vice Adm William McRaven is telling a Senate committee Tuesday that while Iraqi leaders have not formally asked for some US troops to remain, it would be "mutually beneficial" to keep some special operations forces there.
McRaven`s nomination to head U.S. Special Operations Command is being considered by the Senate Armed Services Committee. He has spent his career in special operations, and was a key leader of the US Navy SEAL team operation that killed Osama bin Laden in May.
The roughly 46,000 US troops in Iraq are set to leave by year`s end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report