US commando team should stay in Iraq: Admiral
Washington: The admiral tapped to be the new commander of US special operations forces says a small commando force should remain in Iraq after the end of the year, when all American troops are scheduled to leave.
Vice Adm William McRaven is telling a Senate committee Tuesday that while Iraqi leaders have not formally asked for some US troops to remain, it would be "mutually beneficial" to keep some special operations forces there.
McRaven`s nomination to head U.S. Special Operations Command is being considered by the Senate Armed Services Committee. He has spent his career in special operations, and was a key leader of the US Navy SEAL team operation that killed Osama bin Laden in May.
The roughly 46,000 US troops in Iraq are set to leave by year`s end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- He has to forgive me someday: Arijit Singh on row with Salman Khan
- IPL 9 Video: This is how Kolkata Knight Riders thank supportive fans!
- Delhi-NCR emerges leader in job creation among 8 cities
- Rahul Gandhi holds 'Mashal Juloos' protest against AAP govt; attempts to corner PM Modi
- We have alternative for Finmeccanica's torpedos: Manohar Parrikar