US Commerce Secretary Bryson resigns
Washington: US Commerce Secretary John Bryson resigned from the key post on Thursday, days after being involved in two car accidents that occurred after he suffered a seizure.
Bryson said in his resignation letter to US President Barack Obama that his health problem could be a distraction from his work and might affect his performance as a minister.
"I have concluded that the seizure I suffered on June 9th could be a distraction from my performance as Secretary and that our country could be better served by a change in leadership of the Department," Bryson wrote.
The letter sent to Obama last night was released to the press today.
In a letter to the employees of the Commerce Department this morning, Bryson who had taken a leave of absence after the June 9 incident, said he is resigning.
"The work that you do to help America`s entrepreneurs and businesses build our economy and create jobs is more important now than ever and I have come to the conclusion that I need to step down to prevent distractions from this critical mission," Bryson said.
In a statement, Obama said he had accepted the resignation, and praised him as a distinguished leader.
"I want to extend my deepest thanks and appreciation to John for his service over the past months, and wish him and his family the very best," he said.
Obama said as Secretary, Bryson fought tirelessly for US businesses and workers, helping to bolster its exports and promote American manufacturing and products at home and abroad.
As Commerce Secretary, Bryson led his first trade mission to India from March 25 to 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray