US committed to Annan`s idea on Syria transition
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Washington remains committed to an "effective and swift" political transition in Syria as envisioned by UN-Arab League joint envoy Kofi Annan, who announced his resignation on Thursday.
"We remain committed to an effective and swift political transition as envisioned under the Annan framework," Hillary said in a statement on Thursday.
She said she called Annan earlier in the day and thanked him for his service as the UN-Arab League joint envoy.
Hillary, currently on an African tour, attributed Annan`s failure in his efforts to end the violence and bloodshed in Syria to a UN Security Council that "was blocked from giving him key tools to advance his efforts”.
US State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell called the six-point peace plan brokered by Annan "a good framework”.
Washington continues to support the framework within the context of a wider US strategy of pursuing "robust" sanctions to squeeze the Syrian government while offering nonlethal assistance to the opposition as well as humanitarian aid to those affected by the conflict, he said.
"It`s of course not surprising" that Annan chose to step down given the continued conflict in Syria and the lack of consensus at the Security Council, said the spokesman.
Annan, who assumed his current post about five months ago, told reporters in Geneva on Thursday that he was disappointed over the lack of progress in the Syrian peace process and that he would step down after his current mandate expires on August 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened