US condemns attacks on West Bank mosques
Washington: The Obama administration is condemning as "hateful" attacks on Palestinian mosques in the West Bank and has appealed to Israelis and Palestinians to avoid any escalation.
The State Department said in a statement on Friday that recent attacks on West Bank mosques are "dangerous and provocative”. It called for the perpetrators to be arrested and prosecuted. It said violence would only hurt efforts to end the conflict.
Israeli West Bank settlers have come under suspicion for a string of attacks against Palestinians.
On Thursday, two cars were torched and Hebrew-language slogans were spray-painted on a mosque in the Nablus area. No one claimed responsibility for the acts, but settlers have carried out similar acts before. This week, a West Bank mosque was set afire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian captain to hit double century in away Test
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking