US condemns conviction of Belarus opposition candidate
Washington: The United States condemned on Saturday`s "politically motivated" conviction of a top Belarus opposition presidential candidate, stressing it considered him and other detained candidates to be political prisoners.
A Minsk court jailed opposition leader Andrei Sannikov for five years on charges of organizing protests after the disputed re-election of authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko.
The incumbent swept the December election with almost 80 percent of the vote, but the poll was slammed as flawed by observers.
"The United States condemns the May 14 conviction of presidential candidate Andrei Sannikov and other democratic activists in Belarus," State Department spokesman Mark Toner said in a statement.
Sannikov, 57, is the most prominent of five candidates who face jail over their protests, and Sannikov was the first to receive a verdict.
Amid highly emotional scenes, four other younger defendants -- the youngest only 19 -- were handed sentences of up to three-and-a-half years in the same trial in Minsk.
"We consider the five presidential candidates... and other activists, who are being tried after being arrested as part of the crackdown related to the December 19 presidential elections, to be political prisoners," Toner said.
The spokesman added that Washington considered the harsh sentences and ongoing trials to be "clearly politically motivated," and called on Belarus to immediately release all political prisoners and end human rights violations against critics of the government.
"The results of ongoing trials will be taken into account as the United States continues to review its relations with Belarus and consider further measures," Toner said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27