US condemns conviction of Belarus opposition candidate
Washington: The United States condemned on Saturday`s "politically motivated" conviction of a top Belarus opposition presidential candidate, stressing it considered him and other detained candidates to be political prisoners.
A Minsk court jailed opposition leader Andrei Sannikov for five years on charges of organizing protests after the disputed re-election of authoritarian President Alexander Lukashenko.
The incumbent swept the December election with almost 80 percent of the vote, but the poll was slammed as flawed by observers.
"The United States condemns the May 14 conviction of presidential candidate Andrei Sannikov and other democratic activists in Belarus," State Department spokesman Mark Toner said in a statement.
Sannikov, 57, is the most prominent of five candidates who face jail over their protests, and Sannikov was the first to receive a verdict.
Amid highly emotional scenes, four other younger defendants -- the youngest only 19 -- were handed sentences of up to three-and-a-half years in the same trial in Minsk.
"We consider the five presidential candidates... and other activists, who are being tried after being arrested as part of the crackdown related to the December 19 presidential elections, to be political prisoners," Toner said.
The spokesman added that Washington considered the harsh sentences and ongoing trials to be "clearly politically motivated," and called on Belarus to immediately release all political prisoners and end human rights violations against critics of the government.
"The results of ongoing trials will be taken into account as the United States continues to review its relations with Belarus and consider further measures," Toner said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand