US condemns deadly attacks in Iraq
Washington: The US has strongly condemned the spate of attacks across Iraq in the last two days, the deadliest in the country since the withdrawal of US troops late last year, Xinhua reported.
"The targeting of innocents is always cowardly. It`s particularly reprehensible during this holy month of Ramadan," State Department spokeperson Victoria Nuland told reporters at a regular news briefing Monday.
Al Qaeda is suspected of being behind the attacks that swept Baghdad, Kirkuk and other cities Monday, killing some 80 people and wounding more than 200 others.
Over 100 people were killed or injured in the attacks in Iraq a day earlier, just as Iraq is observing the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
"The issue here is the horrific tactics of al Qaeda in Iraq, who, during this month of Ramadan, are making desperate efforts to call on Sunnis to turn against their government, to assassinate judges and investigators, and to, in general, turn against all of these democratic institutions," Nuland said.
She said Washington continues to provide "appropriate security support" to the Iraqis based on their requests in terms of equipping and training, though American troops withdrew in December last year following years of bloody war.
"But in general, the position of the Iraqi government is that they want to be responsible for their own security, that they are up to the task of dealing with these kinds of things," Nuland added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Samsung, Tencent surge in race to become Asia's most valuable firm
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!
- This Russian cat adopts baby monkey after his mother abandons him – Watch inspirational video!
- Centre must explain Scorpene submarines leak, says Congress
- 10 hot features of Google Android Nougat Operating System