US condemns Iran minister for laying wreath at Hezbollah grave
Washington: The US on Tuesday condemned a visit by Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif Khonsari to place a wreath at the grave of a former Hezbollah leader it says was behind "vicious" acts of terrorism that killed hundreds of innocent people, including Americans.
Caitlin Hayden, spokesperson National Security Council at the White House, said honouring Imad Mugniyah sends the wrong message.
"The inhumane violence that Mugniyah perpetrated and that Lebanese Hezbollah continues to perpetrate in the region with Iran`s financial and material support - has had profoundly destabilising and deadly effects for Lebanon and the region.
"The decision to commemorate an individual who has participated in such vicious acts, and whose organisation continues to actively support terrorism worldwide, sends the wrong message and will only exacerbate tensions in the region," Hayden said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites