US condemns Iran minister for laying wreath at Hezbollah grave
Washington: The US on Tuesday condemned a visit by Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif Khonsari to place a wreath at the grave of a former Hezbollah leader it says was behind "vicious" acts of terrorism that killed hundreds of innocent people, including Americans.
Caitlin Hayden, spokesperson National Security Council at the White House, said honouring Imad Mugniyah sends the wrong message.
"The inhumane violence that Mugniyah perpetrated and that Lebanese Hezbollah continues to perpetrate in the region with Iran`s financial and material support - has had profoundly destabilising and deadly effects for Lebanon and the region.
"The decision to commemorate an individual who has participated in such vicious acts, and whose organisation continues to actively support terrorism worldwide, sends the wrong message and will only exacerbate tensions in the region," Hayden said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read