US condemns Iran minister for laying wreath at Hezbollah grave
Washington: The US on Tuesday condemned a visit by Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif Khonsari to place a wreath at the grave of a former Hezbollah leader it says was behind "vicious" acts of terrorism that killed hundreds of innocent people, including Americans.
Caitlin Hayden, spokesperson National Security Council at the White House, said honouring Imad Mugniyah sends the wrong message.
"The inhumane violence that Mugniyah perpetrated and that Lebanese Hezbollah continues to perpetrate in the region with Iran`s financial and material support - has had profoundly destabilising and deadly effects for Lebanon and the region.
"The decision to commemorate an individual who has participated in such vicious acts, and whose organisation continues to actively support terrorism worldwide, sends the wrong message and will only exacerbate tensions in the region," Hayden said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Punjab woman 'gangraped first, killed, and then thrown from roof'
- IPL 2016: Mumbai Indians sign Jerome Taylor as injured Lasith Malinga's replacement
- AugustaWestland chopper deal: It's political conspiracy to cover up criminal negligence in pursuing CBI inquiry, says AK Antony
- Tiger Shroff regrets making housewife comment?
- Britain would be less well off after Brexit: OECD