US condemns Iran minister for laying wreath at Hezbollah grave
Washington: The US on Tuesday condemned a visit by Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif Khonsari to place a wreath at the grave of a former Hezbollah leader it says was behind "vicious" acts of terrorism that killed hundreds of innocent people, including Americans.
Caitlin Hayden, spokesperson National Security Council at the White House, said honouring Imad Mugniyah sends the wrong message.
"The inhumane violence that Mugniyah perpetrated and that Lebanese Hezbollah continues to perpetrate in the region with Iran`s financial and material support - has had profoundly destabilising and deadly effects for Lebanon and the region.
"The decision to commemorate an individual who has participated in such vicious acts, and whose organisation continues to actively support terrorism worldwide, sends the wrong message and will only exacerbate tensions in the region," Hayden said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- Watch: CCTV footage of open firing on a liquor shop in Jabalpur
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!