US condemns killing of key Lebanese leader in terror attack
Washington: The US has strongly condemned the assassination of a key Lebanese leader in a terrorist attack in Beirut, terming it a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability.
"The US condemns in the strongest terms the acts of terrorism that took place in Beirut`s Achrafieh neighborhood. We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who were killed," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement.
The assassination of Brigadier General Wissam al-Hassan, who was a "strong defender" of Lebanon`s security and its people, is a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability, she said.
"Lebanon must close the chapter of its past and bring an end to impunity for political assassinations and other politically motivated violence," Clinton said and called on all parties to exercise restraint and respect for Lebanon`s stability and security.
"We will continue to work with our partners to preserve Lebanon`s security and stability," she said, asserting that the US remains committed to an independent, sovereign, and stable Lebanon.
Earlier The White House too condemned the terrorist attack in Beirut.
"Lebanon`s security and stability are vital both for the Lebanese people and their neighbors. There is no justification for using assassination as a political tool," National Security Council Spokesman Tommy Vietor said.
"The US will stand by the government and people of Lebanon as they work to bring those responsible for this barbaric attack to justice and build a future where all Lebanese can live in security and dignity," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues