US condemns killing of key Lebanese leader in terror attack
Washington: The US has strongly condemned the assassination of a key Lebanese leader in a terrorist attack in Beirut, terming it a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability.
"The US condemns in the strongest terms the acts of terrorism that took place in Beirut`s Achrafieh neighborhood. We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who were killed," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement.
The assassination of Brigadier General Wissam al-Hassan, who was a "strong defender" of Lebanon`s security and its people, is a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability, she said.
"Lebanon must close the chapter of its past and bring an end to impunity for political assassinations and other politically motivated violence," Clinton said and called on all parties to exercise restraint and respect for Lebanon`s stability and security.
"We will continue to work with our partners to preserve Lebanon`s security and stability," she said, asserting that the US remains committed to an independent, sovereign, and stable Lebanon.
Earlier The White House too condemned the terrorist attack in Beirut.
"Lebanon`s security and stability are vital both for the Lebanese people and their neighbors. There is no justification for using assassination as a political tool," National Security Council Spokesman Tommy Vietor said.
"The US will stand by the government and people of Lebanon as they work to bring those responsible for this barbaric attack to justice and build a future where all Lebanese can live in security and dignity," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you