US condemns killing of key Lebanese leader in terror attack
Washington: The US has strongly condemned the assassination of a key Lebanese leader in a terrorist attack in Beirut, terming it a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability.
"The US condemns in the strongest terms the acts of terrorism that took place in Beirut`s Achrafieh neighborhood. We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who were killed," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement.
The assassination of Brigadier General Wissam al-Hassan, who was a "strong defender" of Lebanon`s security and its people, is a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability, she said.
"Lebanon must close the chapter of its past and bring an end to impunity for political assassinations and other politically motivated violence," Clinton said and called on all parties to exercise restraint and respect for Lebanon`s stability and security.
"We will continue to work with our partners to preserve Lebanon`s security and stability," she said, asserting that the US remains committed to an independent, sovereign, and stable Lebanon.
Earlier The White House too condemned the terrorist attack in Beirut.
"Lebanon`s security and stability are vital both for the Lebanese people and their neighbors. There is no justification for using assassination as a political tool," National Security Council Spokesman Tommy Vietor said.
"The US will stand by the government and people of Lebanon as they work to bring those responsible for this barbaric attack to justice and build a future where all Lebanese can live in security and dignity," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony