US condemns killing of key Lebanese leader in terror attack
Washington: The US has strongly condemned the assassination of a key Lebanese leader in a terrorist attack in Beirut, terming it a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability.
"The US condemns in the strongest terms the acts of terrorism that took place in Beirut`s Achrafieh neighborhood. We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who were killed," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement.
The assassination of Brigadier General Wissam al-Hassan, who was a "strong defender" of Lebanon`s security and its people, is a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability, she said.
"Lebanon must close the chapter of its past and bring an end to impunity for political assassinations and other politically motivated violence," Clinton said and called on all parties to exercise restraint and respect for Lebanon`s stability and security.
"We will continue to work with our partners to preserve Lebanon`s security and stability," she said, asserting that the US remains committed to an independent, sovereign, and stable Lebanon.
Earlier The White House too condemned the terrorist attack in Beirut.
"Lebanon`s security and stability are vital both for the Lebanese people and their neighbors. There is no justification for using assassination as a political tool," National Security Council Spokesman Tommy Vietor said.
"The US will stand by the government and people of Lebanon as they work to bring those responsible for this barbaric attack to justice and build a future where all Lebanese can live in security and dignity," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- Afzal Guru event: JNU panel holds 21 students 'guilty of indiscipline'; no relief to Umar, Anirban
- Water shortage may have led to demise of Maya civilisation