US condemns killing of key Lebanese leader in terror attack
Washington: The US has strongly condemned the assassination of a key Lebanese leader in a terrorist attack in Beirut, terming it a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability.
"The US condemns in the strongest terms the acts of terrorism that took place in Beirut`s Achrafieh neighborhood. We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones of those who were killed," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said in a statement.
The assassination of Brigadier General Wissam al-Hassan, who was a "strong defender" of Lebanon`s security and its people, is a dangerous sign that there are people who continue to seek to undermine Lebanon`s stability, she said.
"Lebanon must close the chapter of its past and bring an end to impunity for political assassinations and other politically motivated violence," Clinton said and called on all parties to exercise restraint and respect for Lebanon`s stability and security.
"We will continue to work with our partners to preserve Lebanon`s security and stability," she said, asserting that the US remains committed to an independent, sovereign, and stable Lebanon.
Earlier The White House too condemned the terrorist attack in Beirut.
"Lebanon`s security and stability are vital both for the Lebanese people and their neighbors. There is no justification for using assassination as a political tool," National Security Council Spokesman Tommy Vietor said.
"The US will stand by the government and people of Lebanon as they work to bring those responsible for this barbaric attack to justice and build a future where all Lebanese can live in security and dignity," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Bail plea of Amanatullah Khan, accused of threatening woman with rape and murder, to be heard today
- Bhagwant Mann FB video row: Deadline for AAP MP to depose before parliamentary panel ends today
- Donald Trump was 'being sarcastic' over Russia hacking comments
- Full text of US President Barack Obama's speech at Democratic convention
- Tim Kaine accepts Democratic nomination for VP