US condemns Sinai car bomb attack

The United States denounced a car bomb attack in the Egyptian Sinai peninsula that killed at least 26 soldiers, and injured 28 others Friday.

AFP| Last Updated: Oct 25, 2014, 00:58 AM IST

Washington: The United States denounced a car bomb attack in the Egyptian Sinai peninsula that killed at least 26 soldiers, and injured 28 others Friday.

Washington "strongly condemns the terrorist attack that targeted a military checkpoint in the Sinai," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.

"A prosperous and dynamic Egypt requires an environment of security and stability."

The attack was one of the deadliest on security forces since the army deposed Islamist president Mohamed Morsi last year.

"The United States continues to support the Egyptian government`s efforts to counter the threat of terrorism in Egypt as part of our commitments to the strategic partnership between our two countries," Psaki said.

Jihadists in the peninsula have killed scores of policemen and soldiers since Morsi`s overthrow to avenge a bloody police crackdown on his supporters from the Muslim Brotherhood.

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the army chief who toppled Morsi and later won elections, has pledged to eradicate the militants.