US conducts exercises with Maldivian forces
Colombo: The US and the Maldivian military are conducting a joint military exercises that will conclude Oct 14.
According to an US embassy statement here, the exercise involving the American Marine Corps and the Maldivian National Defence Force began Oct 4.
Coconut Grove 2012 is a bilateral, biannual exercise taking place on Gan island.
"The recurring, ongoing exercise will increase mutual understanding and enhance professional and amicable relations between the two militaries," the statement said.
"The exercise will focus on general military skills and enhancing interoperability between the two forces, and will help advance common regional security interests between the US and the Maldives."
The exercise will include several days of medical training and combat lifesaving techniques as well as convoy operations and general military skills training.
The participating US units primarily come from I Marine Expeditionary Force, based in Camp Pendleton, California, with support from the Maritime Sealift Command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre