US conducts exercises with Maldivian forces
Colombo: The US and the Maldivian military are conducting a joint military exercises that will conclude Oct 14.
According to an US embassy statement here, the exercise involving the American Marine Corps and the Maldivian National Defence Force began Oct 4.
Coconut Grove 2012 is a bilateral, biannual exercise taking place on Gan island.
"The recurring, ongoing exercise will increase mutual understanding and enhance professional and amicable relations between the two militaries," the statement said.
"The exercise will focus on general military skills and enhancing interoperability between the two forces, and will help advance common regional security interests between the US and the Maldives."
The exercise will include several days of medical training and combat lifesaving techniques as well as convoy operations and general military skills training.
The participating US units primarily come from I Marine Expeditionary Force, based in Camp Pendleton, California, with support from the Maritime Sealift Command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!