US conducts exercises with Maldivian forces
Colombo: The US and the Maldivian military are conducting a joint military exercises that will conclude Oct 14.
According to an US embassy statement here, the exercise involving the American Marine Corps and the Maldivian National Defence Force began Oct 4.
Coconut Grove 2012 is a bilateral, biannual exercise taking place on Gan island.
"The recurring, ongoing exercise will increase mutual understanding and enhance professional and amicable relations between the two militaries," the statement said.
"The exercise will focus on general military skills and enhancing interoperability between the two forces, and will help advance common regional security interests between the US and the Maldives."
The exercise will include several days of medical training and combat lifesaving techniques as well as convoy operations and general military skills training.
The participating US units primarily come from I Marine Expeditionary Force, based in Camp Pendleton, California, with support from the Maritime Sealift Command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"