US confident of bringing to justice other six charged in 26/11
Chicago: The United States has said it will continue to bring to justice the other six people named in Mumbai terror attacks case, including Lashkar-e-Toiba leaders.
"They are fugitives. If we can ever get our hands on them, we will try to arrest them, or have them arrested depending on what country they are found in and extradite to the United States and prosecute them here in the US," Acting US Attorney Gary S Shapiro told reporters after Headley was sentenced to 35 years of imprisonment by a Chicago court.
These six individuals named in the indictment, besides Tahawur Rana, who was sentenced last week, and Headley (sentenced yesterday), are Illyas Kashmiri, Abdur Rehman Hashim Syed alias Pasha, Sajid Mir, Abu Qahafa, Mazhar Iqbal, and Major Iqbal.
Of these Illyas Kashmiri is reported to have died in a US drone attack and rest five are said to be in Pakistan.
"I think there are those who think these are kind of meaningless exercise, and that the US Government would never get its hand on these fugitives, but you know, you could have said the same thing 15 years ago about some of the drug lords in Columbia, you could have said the same thing 10 years ago about cartel members in Mexico; those countries changed dramatically and we extradited many of these people to the United States, with some of them to Chicago," Shapiro said.
"So we have hopes that we can prosecute them and certainly going to keep looking for them," he said.
"All I said was, we are continuing those investigation we make no prediction on anything that would come form those investigations," Shapiro said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state