US congratulates Iraqi people on election of new President
Washington: The US on Thursday congratulated people of Iraq on the election of a new president Fuad Masum and asked the Iraqi leaders to form a "cohesive government" to help fight Islamic militants.
"By taking this crucial step, the Council of Representatives has demonstrated its commitment to uniting the country according to the constitution and advancing the legitimate rights and aspirations of all Iraq`s communities," State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf said.
Iraq`s leaders now must take the next step in their democratic process by choosing a prime minister and forming a government, she said.
"Only with an inclusive, cohesive government that represents all Iraqis can Iraq most effectively and successfully confront the urgent security and humanitarian challenges it faces in the fight against ISIL," Harf said.
During a Congressional hearing on Iraq, Senator Robert Menendez blamed the previous Iraqi government for creating conditions for the rise of Islamic militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 2: GL vs SRH – 5 facts you must know ahead of virtual semi-final
- China to send lunar probe 'Chang'e 5' on moon!
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared on May 30. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- Barack Obama arrives at Hiroshima atomic bomb park
- Boat sinks in Ganga, eight feared drowned in Katihar