US congratulates Iraqi people on election of new President
Washington: The US on Thursday congratulated people of Iraq on the election of a new president Fuad Masum and asked the Iraqi leaders to form a "cohesive government" to help fight Islamic militants.
"By taking this crucial step, the Council of Representatives has demonstrated its commitment to uniting the country according to the constitution and advancing the legitimate rights and aspirations of all Iraq`s communities," State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf said.
Iraq`s leaders now must take the next step in their democratic process by choosing a prime minister and forming a government, she said.
"Only with an inclusive, cohesive government that represents all Iraqis can Iraq most effectively and successfully confront the urgent security and humanitarian challenges it faces in the fight against ISIL," Harf said.
During a Congressional hearing on Iraq, Senator Robert Menendez blamed the previous Iraqi government for creating conditions for the rise of Islamic militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?