US congratulates Iraqi people on election of new President
Washington: The US on Thursday congratulated people of Iraq on the election of a new president Fuad Masum and asked the Iraqi leaders to form a "cohesive government" to help fight Islamic militants.
"By taking this crucial step, the Council of Representatives has demonstrated its commitment to uniting the country according to the constitution and advancing the legitimate rights and aspirations of all Iraq`s communities," State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf said.
Iraq`s leaders now must take the next step in their democratic process by choosing a prime minister and forming a government, she said.
"Only with an inclusive, cohesive government that represents all Iraqis can Iraq most effectively and successfully confront the urgent security and humanitarian challenges it faces in the fight against ISIL," Harf said.
During a Congressional hearing on Iraq, Senator Robert Menendez blamed the previous Iraqi government for creating conditions for the rise of Islamic militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Kashmir violence: Avoid using pellet guns against protesters as far as possible, Rajnath Singh tells security forces
- Pakistan spinner Mohammad Hafeez to undergo retest on modified bowling action
- Elderly woman found murdered in Delhi
- IAF's mising AN-32 transporter: Satellites provide pointers, but no signs of aircraft yet
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka