US congratulates Iraqi people on election of new President
Washington: The US on Thursday congratulated people of Iraq on the election of a new president Fuad Masum and asked the Iraqi leaders to form a "cohesive government" to help fight Islamic militants.
"By taking this crucial step, the Council of Representatives has demonstrated its commitment to uniting the country according to the constitution and advancing the legitimate rights and aspirations of all Iraq`s communities," State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf said.
Iraq`s leaders now must take the next step in their democratic process by choosing a prime minister and forming a government, she said.
"Only with an inclusive, cohesive government that represents all Iraqis can Iraq most effectively and successfully confront the urgent security and humanitarian challenges it faces in the fight against ISIL," Harf said.
During a Congressional hearing on Iraq, Senator Robert Menendez blamed the previous Iraqi government for creating conditions for the rise of Islamic militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Union Minister Kumar flays Digvijay Singh for supporting Amnesty
- BJP asks Kashmiri youths to defeat designs of separatists
- SAD seeks defence academy in Anandpur Sahib
- Probe ordered into killing of snake charmer in Madhya Pradesh
- Maharashtra govt to write to PM for CBI probe into disappearance of tiger