US congratulates Iraqi people on election of new President
Washington: The US on Thursday congratulated people of Iraq on the election of a new president Fuad Masum and asked the Iraqi leaders to form a "cohesive government" to help fight Islamic militants.
"By taking this crucial step, the Council of Representatives has demonstrated its commitment to uniting the country according to the constitution and advancing the legitimate rights and aspirations of all Iraq`s communities," State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf said.
Iraq`s leaders now must take the next step in their democratic process by choosing a prime minister and forming a government, she said.
"Only with an inclusive, cohesive government that represents all Iraqis can Iraq most effectively and successfully confront the urgent security and humanitarian challenges it faces in the fight against ISIL," Harf said.
During a Congressional hearing on Iraq, Senator Robert Menendez blamed the previous Iraqi government for creating conditions for the rise of Islamic militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption
- Indian ISIS operative says he met Paris bombing accused in Iraq last year